"We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Enjoying the Fall Days in Florida

I've been staying in McIntosh, spending time with my church friends,
Listening to the call of the Sand Hill Cranes that winter here also.
Smiling at the notes of many songbirds...this a Common Yellowthroat, I think.
The lake has dried up so much I can walk way out. This is looking back at my site.
On a lazy day I enjoy the little things like bees and butterflies on wildflowers that grow by my site.

This fellow stopped to visit on Bandit's tent.
There aren't as many wading birds this year...not as much water to wade in I guess.
1890 Days brought the usual large crowd to town.
I spent a weekend with my grandson, Ben, on a Boy Scout outing at Florida Fun & Sun. Lot's of aeronautical events. Yes, he was tall enough!
So serious...
And he got to fly in the real thing too!
He built a rocket...and set it blasting off. Lots of fun in the sun.
I paid a visit to my favorite state park at Silver River. Will come back in December to get my river fix.
It was a beautiful full moon this month.
Friend Sarah says it's a Beaver moon, according to Farmer's Almanac.
And we had our first frost of the season. Back in the 80s now though.
Another relaxing afternoon to birdwatch.
Cardinal in a tree.
Bunches of birdies in a bush.
Bandit likes to watch the birds too.
Just some colorful fall wildflowers.
My pair of red-shouldered hawks.
And the gorgeous blue sky.
Some of McIntosh's vintage homes.
Locals call this the "Pepto-Bismol" house.
I helped out with other volunteers at "Ocali Days" at Silver River State Park.
Where costumed re-enactors took us back to the days of Florida Crackers. 


 Squeezing sugar cane.
 And boiling to make cane syrup...which was for sale.
Seminole Indians were represented. 

These girls enjoyed the candle-making activity. 
There was live music by Backintyme and other groups throughout the weekend. 
When things got slow at our booth we were entertained by the non-human visitors. This is a Magnolia Jumper...so says my knowledgeable friend, Ev.
 We didn't figure out the name of this red-eyed fly.
 They seemed to like the warm green T-shirts.
 This interesting fellow fell out of the tree.

 From the front....ferocious looking, isn't he?
People watching is fun, but even more fun is dog watching. A couple came in with 4 dogs, all with special needs. This Dachshund had a wheelchair.
THe other small dog had just 3 legs. 
But their seeming limitations didn't limit them at all! May we all enjoy our lives as much as these dogs were.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures as usual. Looks like you are having a grate time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are always so fantastic. Love the close-ups and the dogs, of course, are wonderful. I especially love the dachsund since I have three of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzie, you did a great job on those photos...and it was great seeing you and Nan..come back again soon !
    God Bless
    Zeee and Critters 3

    ReplyDelete