"We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)

Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Lincoln Highway, PA

I didn't travel far when I left the get-together....just a little west to Michaux State Forest where I had gotten a camping permit online. On the way I passed these pumpkins in a field. They look like they're all ready to be made into pie...or Jack-O-Lanterns.
 Camping is free in all PA State Forests...you just need to get a permit. This place is popular for ATVers as there are ATV trails here, but the few I saw all left by evening.
No ATVs are allowed on this trail, so Roe and I had a nice hike through the forest.
 The trail opened out here at the power line for a pretty view.
 In the morning we followed Route 30 west, also known as the historic Lincoln Highway:
 There are a lot of things to see along this road, remnants of days gone by.
This Iron Furnace was built before the Civil War.
 And burned by the Confederate Army as they marched towards Gettysburg. During the Civil War it was Thaddeus Stevens who kept pressure on Abraham Lincoln to use African-Americans as soldiers and to free the slaves.
 Only the stone walls of the blacksmith shop remained after Gettysburg, but it was later rebuilt and operated until 1895. Following the burning of Caledonia Iron works, now Caledonia State Park, Stevens provided support for unemployed families for three years.
 The murals on this building attracted my attention. Tattoo anyone?
There were other murals I was looking for, more specific to the Lincoln Highway.
I wish it had been convenient to park in downtown Chambersburg...a lot of history right around this traffic circle. I was too busy trying to figure out where to go.
 These Lincoln Penny, Capital L signs mark the route of the Lincoln Highway.
 There are some unique signs to look for, like this giant apple truck.
 I see mountains ahead...didn't know there would be mountains.
 A lot of old houses and other buildings alongside the road.
 I like mountains.
 These really aren't that high.
 There was a nice picnic area at this summit, courtesy of the Buchanan State Forest.
 A sign said this road leads to a scenic view.
 It didn't say how far.
 Turned out to be a mile and a half.
 Was it worth it?
 For me it was.
 Sometimes the old Lincoln Highway strays off route 30. I missed the turn to Everett which had some interesting sites I was looking for. Next time.
 Farmers Market donning its fall colors.
 Other places I saw too late to get a good picture....like this vintage Trailer Court.
 Not sure what this is.
 Saw the sign for the log church too late, but got a blurry picture on the fly. I really need to wash my windows.
 Farm country and more mountains ahead.
 The Bison Barn commemorates the early days of the Lincoln Highway.
 The other side. I can see by the mural that the log church I missed was built in 1806.
I saw several old gas pumps, but this is the first I could get a picture of one.
 I had also seen several historic markers about the forts, but no parking near them. Why do they do that. You can't read them going 45 mph. I had intended to stop at Fort Loudon Historic Site, but missed that turn too....not well marked.
 The other side of the gas pump.

They really do raise bison on this farm, but there weren't any in view of the road today.

 So on down the curvy road I go.
 Climbing again.
 The view from there.
 Out of the past and into today....the Flight 93 National Memorial is along this route too.
 The first parking area I was directed to is along the site of the future Visitor's Center.
 Sign boards explain what happened here.
 Some people walked along the final flight path. It was very windy and cold. I chose to drive to the memorial site.
 As did many others. We are waiting in line for others to leave and free up space in the next parking area.
 At the memorial site more sign boards recount the events.
 With photos from that day.
 Memorial wreaths no doubt from the anniversary dedication last week.
 The walk out to the site.
 You can see the site of the crash/crater beyond the wall.
Zoomed in. You are not allowed to walk out there.
 For whom the bell tolls.
 The names of the victims are engraved on this wall.
May God bless America



2 comments:

  1. Liz, thank you.. I felt like I was there with you.. I'm really at a loss for words..We lost so many lives because of such evil sick people..

    Keep up the good work.. You get a "Gold Star"..God Bless and Keep Safe
    Zeee and Critters 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thanks as well, Liz. What a beautiful, interesting, artistic, and then thought provoking sadness-remembering day you shared. I loved the murals, and the signposts, and the frustration with no parking to see the signs. That has frustrated me as well in some places. Scenic Highways without a single turnout! What are they thinking!!

    ReplyDelete